Thursday, February 11, 2010

A teaser

So a while ago, I was complaining to a friend of mine about all the obnoxious things people will say to you when you are pregnant. It is seriously like a free pass to be socially inappropriate. Anyway...she reminded me that she kept a list of these weird things people would say, and it turned out to be seriously hilarious.

I decided to start my own list, more as a coping mechanism...you know, instead of being offended, I'll just say to myself, "Great! one more comment to add to my list!". Anyway...I am keeping the list, but just when I thought it was going to start growing exponentially, it stopped. So it's not very big right now. I need to try to sift through my memories to get more.

But today at work, I had more of a conversation to add to the list, rather than just a comment. So I thought I'd post that for you as a teaser of things to come. Here it goes...

Scene: Heating up lunch in the break room. The conversationalist walks in...
him: hi Elaine, how are you

me: fine thanks, you?

him: good....so how many days left now?

me: well, 11 weeks

him: oh...weeks!

me (in my head): geeze am i that huge?

him: (ok too much info to give you word for word...must paraphrase)- He then proceeds to tell me about his friend who is having a baby in 3 weeks. She happens to be a model who has just appeared on some morning talk show to show someones new maternity clothing line. As a model, she of course is obsessed with working out and had problems gaining weight. So much so, that when she auditioned for maternity clothes modeling, the clothes were too big for her... Then some chuckling...

me: oh that's interesting...(in my head: and why do you tell this story to someone you have just insinuated to that she is HUGE? while I am heating up my lunch no less...)

him: well, have a great day

me: thanks, you too. (in my head: well lunch is heated, guess I'll go bulk up then...)
And for more pregnancy faux pas, here is my friend's list that she compiled during her first pregnancy. Enjoy and stay tuned for my larger list as it grows!

P.S. Do you think this post belongs on Nisamina or Team Zuber?
P.P.S. Do you think I should keep Nisamina? If so, what for?

3 comments:

  1. hahaha! yes, isn't fun to make such a list? at least you know that you aren't the only one, too--that every pregnant woman experiences at least a couple of such inappropriate comments/stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all get through it - I bet you look fabulous and it doesn't matter what anyone says - just know that pregnant women are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great, Elaine! I can't wait to see the full list!

    ReplyDelete