I had the awesome opportunity to go on a silent retreat in April. It is put on by some women who used to go to our church, who have many gifts in the area of Spiritual Direction and Spiritual formation. This year theme was Grace. It was wonderful to have some much needed space in my life, and with the company of some amazing women. One of the fun things about this retreat is that we break our silence for dinner and wine. Then back to silence and reflection after dinner.
Here are some pictures from around the retreat center.
My view from the parking lot as I arrived.
On a sunset beach walk.
On a morning beach combing walk.
Poppies and other flowers on the walk back.
Resting by some tide pools.
Breaking in my new sun hat.
Another view from the retreat center.
One of the things we did at this retreat was reflect on many different peoples writings on the idea of grace. At the end of the retreat, we selected some of the lines that impacted us, and put them into our on poem for reflection, called a French Pantoum. There is a formula for how to put the lines together. And I thought I'd put mine here to share. Keep in mind these are not my words, just pieces of others' writing that struck me, that I've assembled here.
Elaine's Pantoum on Grace
I want you to know the fullness of my love.
When truth takes hold, you move toward freedom,
I love it when you are free.
Let us be open to what has never happened before.
When truth takes hold, you move toward freedom,
Accepting hardship as the pathway to peace.
Let us be open to what has never happened before,
Trusting that I will make all things wright when you surrender yourself to me.
Accepting hardship as the pathway to peace,
I love it when you are free.
Trusting that I will make all things wright when you surrender yourself to me.
I want you to know the fullness of my love.
With that gift from the weekend, I headed home to rejoin my family. But first, I stopped by this beautiful art shop in Monterey. We pass it often on family trips, and I always want to peruse, but I don't because I know it will be chaos with the kids. So this time, I stopped! It was wonderful to look at all the brightly colored art of poppies and flowers that I love. I even bought myself a piece.
























No comments:
Post a Comment