Friday, August 16, 2013

Quotes

It's been a while since I posted quotes, so these are my backlog for a few months.
_________________________________________________

Getting ready to go to Home Depot to pick up a new window with Papa.  Emeline is always thinking big.
Emeline: We have to go to Home Depot to pick up the window, Papa
Wes: Yep.
Emeline: Then we can buy a giant house (at Home Depot)
Wes: But this IS a giant house. 
Emeline: No, this is a small house.
~
Speaking to the cleaners we have once a month.  Needing to learn some manners.
After you're done with the sheets, you can put on the blankets, and then I will say thank you.
~
Emeline: Can we go outside and play?
Grandpa: In a little while. I need to sit and digest my food. Do you know what digest means?
Emeline: Yeah.
Grandpa: No you don't. (Skeptically) What does it mean?
Emeline: It means for people's food to go away.
Me: Not bad! (I never told her about this, preschool maybe?)
~
A little conversation about the new baby.  We've had similar ones a few times.  It sounds like an awful conversation, but it's clear she's processing ideas of life and death.
Me: Are you excited to have a new brother or sister to play with?
Emeline: I want the baby to die.
Me: We want the baby to live and be strong and come out. You grew in my tummy and then came out and be in our family. Kate grew in my tummy and came out to be in our family. We want the new baby to grow strong and come out to be in our family.
Emeline: OK.
Now our conversations about the new baby are much happier.  She wants to have "another Kate".  She's convinced it's a girl.  She loves to kiss my belly and talk to the baby and seems excited for it to come out.
~
After hearing the sound of bowling pins crashing in a Raffi song:
That was the sound of Emeline biting an apple!
~
On returning a Madeline DVD to the library...
I want to keep this one FOREVER.
~
On swim lessons...
I want to do swimming lessons FOREVER.
~
Describing a picture she drew:
This is my idea of the world.
~
The conversation we had as I put the above picture on Facebook.
Emeline: Don't put me on Facebook.  
Me: Why not?
Emeline: Because I want to be myself.
I should have respected her, great wisdom really, but I put that one on Facebook too because it was so good I had to share!
~
A blogger I read talked about interviewing kids over time about different things, to see how their perceptions and ideas change.  Here's her latest:
Me: What is your favorite thing to do? 
Emeline: Go in the water!
Me: What is Papa's favorite thing to do?
Emeline: Work.
Me: What is mommy favorite thing to do?
Emeline: Bible study!
Me: What Kate's favorite things to do?
Emeline: Stay home.
Me: What is your favorite thing to do?
Emeline: Go to school!
_________________________________________________




1 comment:

  1. She's hilarious. And what a great idea about the interviewing! Plus I can't believe I'm the only one so far that's voted the baby will be a girl. Guess me and Emeline can prove everyone else wrong!

    ReplyDelete