Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween

Emeline had been talking about what she wanted to be for Halloween for months. A few months ago, she asked about trick-or-treating, and I told her Halloween wasn't for a while.  I asked her what she wanted to be for Halloween, and she said "Pizza!".  I told her she was a pizza last year, and she could be a pizza again if she wanted, but I asked if she wanted to be something different.  Then she said, "I want to be Princess Presto!".  From that day on, it was all she could talk about.  

Princess Presto, is a character from one of her favorite TV shows, Super Why!.  They are a band of four friends who have superhero alter-egos who solve problems through reading.  Using the power of reading change the story and save the day!  Here's a photo of them in their superhero characters, Princess Presto on the far right.


At first I thought these would be very easy costumes, because I found a pre made Princess Presto costume online.  But alas it was out of stock everywhere, and I couldn't find it online either.  It must have been discontinued.  So I got a pink dress, dressed it up with some green ribbon, gloves, crown, and a wand (which Emeline insisted on) and made a coordinating cape.  

Emeline wanted Kate to be Super Pig, but finding a pig costume and making a purple jump suit proved challenging, so I decided to make her Woofster, Super Why's pet puppy.  I found a puppy costume at Target and made her a cape too.  Here's the result!


Halloween turned out to be a very long day for us.  First we went to Emeline's preschool for a parade and activities.  Emeline had a great time with her friends, and Kate loved being able to actually play at the school, instead of being carried in and out as we drop off or pick up Emeline.  Here are some pictures. 

Walking in to school...

All the kids...
 
 


The parade!  Emeline stuck with one of her best friends, Mateo, who she'd been telling us for weeks was going to be Spiderman.  
 
 

Songs...

Kate loved the babies to play with...
 
And she loved the coloring table too! 
 
 
 
 
After the festivities, I took the girls to buy Papa a birthday present.  Emeline insisted that Wes would want cars.  I asked her where we should buy cars, and she said, "the toy store!".  I suggested Target, but she didn't think that was good, so we went to Toys R Us and picked out some cars for Wes.  It was fun to let her choose the gift by herself (mostly ;) ).  Then we went out for an early lunch, and tried for some naps at home.  Emeline didn't nap that day, so I was quite tired and grateful our mother's helper who was coming over for the afternoon.

During the afternoon I prepped for a simple dinner with some neighborhood friends.  I thought it would be nice to have a pre trick-or-treating dinner, to get something healthy in the kids, and to have a chance to celebrate Wes' birthday as a family.  I forgot to get a picture of the food, we had pumpkin and butternut squash raviolis and a simple salad.  Then we had some birthday cake.  This year I made Wes a chocolate Guinness cake with cream cheese frosting.  It was delicious.  Here are some pics of the cake, and Wes during the birthday song.

 And finally the moment all the kids were waiting for....Trick-or-treating!  Here are Emeline and Kate with their friends Evan and Elia all ready to go!
 
 
 
 

Kate didn't really know what was going on.  She kept sitting down on the steps and saying "Cheese!".  We couldn't get enough of her puppy face!

It was a fun, but long and tiring day.  But the kids had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment